As a part of efforts aimed at the preparation of vocational programmes, especially for Forestry Vocational High Schools (SMK Forestry), FORCLIME recently conducted an online discussion session with another German cooperation program, specifically Innovation and Investment for Inclusive Sustainable Economic Development (ISED) Project II. The session was held on 06 July 2021. One of the focuses of the ISED Project is the development of vocational education programmes aimed at the development of a competent workforce. In addition, ISED is also working to develop private sector participation in relation to economic development and employment.
The results of the discussion session can be broken down as follows:
1. It was suggested that a forestry labour-market survey should be implemented within both the public and the private sectors. The results of this survey should prove useful and suggest directions for Forestry Vocational Schools, universities and education and training institutions in terms of the development of future programmes.
2. It was suggested that link-and-match activities between Forestry Vocational Schools and users (companies) should be included in curriculum and session planning.
3. It was suggested that Internal Quality Management within Forestry Vocational Schools should be developed in order to ensure the quality of the relevant education services.
4. It was suggested that School Committees be strengthened through the involvement of ‘users’ (i.e. private-sector players) and should become a forum for discussions aimed at enhancing the development of schools.
5. It was suggested that soft skills be integrated into learning programmes offered by SMK Forestry.
6. It was suggested that a network of Forestry Vocational Schools be developed at the ASEAN level as a forum of joint learning between schools in different ASEAN countries.
Outputs from the discussion are set to be discussed at a meeting with the Forestry Vocational School that will aim to formulate a set of concrete activities and policies that will take account of these various issues.