With the Forests and Climate Change Programme (FORCLIME), Germany supports Indonesia's efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the forestry sector, to conserve forest biodiversity within the regional Heart of Borneo Initiative and to implement sustainable forest management for the benefit of the people.
Germany's immediate action will focus on helping Indonesia to get ready for the implementation of a future REDD mechanism ("readiness process")
FORCLIME's INTERACTIVE MAP
The programme's overall objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the forest sector while improving the livelihoods of Indonesia's poor rural communities. To achieve this goal, the programme team will assist the Indonesian government to design and implement legal, policy and institutional reforms for the conservation and sustainable management of forests, at local, provincial and national level. Support to REDD+ demonstration activities is a key feature of the programme, providing decision-makers with experience of how REDD+ can be implemented "on the ground"
- Advice on strategy development for REDD+ and forest development at national, provincial and district levels
- Technical advice on a framework for the implementation of REDD+ demonstration activities at various levels, including participatory land use planning and forest zoning
- Innovative design of mechanisms and regulations for district-based REDD+ initiatives
- Facilitation of monitoring, reporting and verification
- Support to forestry administration reform processes such as the establishment of forest management units and related monitoring and inspectorate systems
- Support to nature conservation and benefit sharing within the Heart of Borneo (HoB) Initiative
- Development of payment for environmental services schemes to support sustainable livelihoods in rural areas
- Capacity building for sustainable forest management and nature conservation