Nature conservation, PES, Ecotourism, Land-use management
What we do
Actions of development in biodiverse Heart of Borneo (HoB) areas, supporting collaborative schemes for the management of national parks and their buffer zones. Facilitating negotiation ways of land use and development plans among major stakeholders in selected HoB districts. Supporting agreement development on payments for environmental services, such as ecotourism will give benefit for many local municipalities and empower communities in the programme areas. Supporting gender empowerment programmes in HoB areas as a kind of support for UN Woman Project and achievement of MDG’s targets.
The pilot areas of Programme component 3 are Kapuas Hulu district, Malinau district, and Berau district.
What we want to achieve
The aims of Programme Component 3 is Schemes for effective nature conservation, natural resource management and the improvement of the basic conditions of life for poor communities dependent on forests in selected districts in the Heart of Borneo are implemented by relevant stakeholders.
The indicators to measure the progress and the success of the activities under programme component 3 are:
- Institutional framework and mechanism for the implementation of HoB Initiative at national, province and selected district level is functional and relevant regulations and plans implemented in selected districts.
- Land use plans including priority programmes and development plans to implement HoB Initiative are agreed by stakeholders in at least two districts of HoB area.
- Potential of Payment for Environmental Services (PES) for improvement of livelihood of local communities is assessed and mechanism and regulation are developed and tested in at least two protected areas of HoB area.
- A representative number of the population in and around of at least two protected areas in the HoB recognizes the benefits of the HoB programmes including the potential for improving their livelihood (sources: surveys, base year 2009).
HOW WE WORK
Close exchange with other FORCLIME components as well as deep collaboration with partners as most essential things for the success of our activities. Our partners are:
- HoB Working Group including National, Provinces of East Kalimantan and West Kalimantan, and also Districts of Malinau and Kapuas Hulu
- Ministry of Forestry including Directorate General of Forest Protection and Nature Conservation, Agency for Forestry Education and Training, Natural Resources and Conservation Agency of East Kalimantan and West Kalimantan, Betung Kerihun National Park, Danau Sentarum National Park, Bukit Baka Bukit Raya National Park, and Kayan Mentarang National Park.
- Local Government including BAPPEDA/Local development Planning Agency of provincial level (East Kalimantan and West Kalimantan) and district level (Kapuas Hulu and Malinau), Forestry agency of Kapuas Hulu and Malinau district, Tourism and culture agency of Kapuas Hulu and Malinau district, and BKPRD of Kapuas Hulu and Malinau district.
- NGOs: WWF-ID/WWF (World Wild Fund) -Kayan Mentarang, ICEL (Indonesian Center for Environmental Laws), and TNC-IP (The Nature Conservancy).
- Academicians : Tanjung Pura University (West Kalimantan) and Mulawarman University (East Kalimantan)
ECO Consult is commissioned by GIZ for implementation activities under component 3: