Establishment of Forest Management Units (FMU)
What we do
FORCLIME supports the establishment and development of FMUs in Indonesia at the national and local levels. While support at the national level mainly focuses on the development of policies relevant for FMU development and capacity building, at the local level FORCLIME supports the implementation of FMU design, planning and management. Therefore FORCLIME actively supports the development of three Model FMUs in Malinau and Berau Districts in East Kalimantan Province and Kapuas Hulu District in West Kalimantan Province.
What we want to achieve
FORCLIME’s objective in the Strategic Area of FMU establishment is to facilitate the development of the FMU model in order to manage FMUs in accordance with the principles of sustainable forest management (SFM) and the national targets on climate change mitigation in relation to Green Economy development.
The indicators to measure the achievement the this objective are:
- In the three selected Model FMUs, a forest inventory and data management system for SFM is established and baselines for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are determined by the end of 2014.
- The three Model FMUs are managed by an agreed management plan that considers customary land-use rights, the potential of community-based forest management (CBFM), as well as the facilitation and control of concessions and biodiversity conservation targets (through an approved budget, or supervisory visits).
- Organizational structure and human resource requirements are based on the approved management and business plans of the three Model FMUs.
- The business plans of the three selected FMUs are in accordance with Green Economy principles and implementation has started by the end of 2016.
How we work
To achieve these objectives FORCLIME provides facilitation and advice to a wide range of activities such as:
- Supporting local FMU related policy development
Commitment of local governments, which is reflected in the formulation of relevant policies, is a crucial requirement for FMU development. In order to increase and strengthen commitment, FORCLIME facilitates processes for information dissemination and stakeholder dialogues during FMU planning and development phases. Furthermore, FORCLIME provides support to the formulation of policies related to FMU design, organization development and funding.
Activities implemented so far include:
- Support of multi-stakeholder dialogues on FMU development
- Support for the development of FMU design and proposals
- Information dissemination and facilitation of dialogues at the policy-making level
- Information dissemination about FMUs to other stakeholders including communities who live in or near forests surrounding the respective FMUs
- Integration of FMUs into relevant institutions
- FMU design and planning
Design and planning are first steps for establishing FMUs in districts. Support for FMU design involves activities such as designation of the area, drafting the FMU design and proposal, or the preparation of other necessary documents. The processes and outputs supported by FORCLIME include:
- Design of the FMU East Kalimantan, Model FMU of Berau, Malinau and Kapuas Hulu
- Development of an FMU management plan in Berau
- Development of KPH business plans
- Forest inventory about the potentials of FMUs regarding carbon, timber, non-timber forest products (NTFPs), environmental services, etc.
- Development of social and economic aspects of FMUs
In the future FMUs are expected to be financially independent and even provide income and benefits for both the country and the welfare of the people. To provide a solid foundation for this vision, FORCLIME supports and encourages economic and social development activities in the FMUs in Kalimantan including business development initiatives, the development of community-based forest management (CBFM), land allocation for community management, etc. FORCLIME also supports the identification of potentials for business and stakeholder cooperation regarding FMU management.
- Implementation of FMU activities
In addition to FMU planning and design, FORCLIME also supports practical forest management activities within FMUs, both with communities and the private sector, focusing, among others, on the establishment of good working relationships between the various parties in the FMU. Implementation activities include:
- Supporting the implementation of sustainable forest management
- Developing community-based forest management
- Identification and development of environmental services
- Identification and promotion of non-timber forest products for FMU management plans and business plans
- Institutional development and organizational strengthening
Organization is one of the key factors to the success of FMU development. Therefore FORCLIME provides strong support for the strengthening of institutional and organizational structures in FMUs. Activities implemented focus on various aspects, starting with the preparation for FMU organization until human capacity development in FMUs, such as:
- Organizational development (structure, duties and functions, workload analysis, organization of academic texts, etc.)
- Development of management tools for FMUs
- Human resource capacity building (training, comparative study trips, etc.)
- Development of functions and organizational structure of FMUs with partners:
- Working relations
- Analysis of the KPH’s function regarding the supervision and education of permit holders
- Stakeholder analysis
- Identification of networks and potential cooperation designs for FMUs
- Other technical aspects